Fixed Price Credit Repair! No Monthly Fees! Call 855-611-2733

A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act

A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act 

The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of information in the files of consumer reporting agencies. There are many types of consumer reporting agencies, including credit bureaus and specialty agencies (such as agencies that sell information about check writing histories, medical records, and rental history records). Here is a summary of your primary rights under the FCRA. For more information, including information about additional rights, go to or write to:

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

1700 G Street N.W.,

Washington, DC 20006.


You must be told if information in your file has been used against you. Anyone who uses a credit report or another type of consumer report to deny your application for credit, insurance, or employment — or take another adverse action against you — must tell you and give you the name, address, and phone number of the agency that provided the information.


You have the right to know what is in your file. You may request and obtain all the information about you in a consumer reporting agency file (your “file disclosure”). You will be required to provide proper identification, which may include your Social Security number. In many cases, the disclosure will be free. You are entitled to a free file disclosure if: a person has taken adverse action against you because of information in a report; you are the victim of identity theft and place a fraud alert in your file; your file contains inaccurate information as a result of fraud; you are on public assistance, or you are unemployed but expect to apply for employment within 60 days. Also, all consumers are entitled to one free disclosure every 12 months upon request from each nationwide credit bureau and national specialty consumer reporting agencies. See for additional information.


You have the right to ask for a credit score. Credit scores are numerical summaries of your creditworthiness based on information from credit bureaus. You may request a credit score from consumer reporting agencies that create scores or distribute scores used in residential real property loans, but you will have to pay for it. In some mortgage transactions, you will receive credit score information for free from the mortgage lender.


You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. If you identify information in your file that is incomplete or inaccurate and report it to the consumer reporting agency, the agency must investigate unless your dispute is frivolous. See for an explanation of dispute procedures.


Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information. Inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days. However, a consumer reporting agency may continue to report information it has verified as accurate.


Consumer reporting agencies may not report outdated negative information. In most cases, a consumer reporting agency may not report negative information that is more than seven years old or bankruptcies that are more than ten years old.


Access to your file is limited. A consumer reporting agency may provide information about you only to people with a valid need — usually to consider an application with a creditor, insurer, employer, landlord, or other business. The FCRA specifies those with a need for access.


You must give your consent for reports to be provided to employers. A consumer reporting agency may not give out information about you to your employer, or a potential employer, without your written consent given to the employer. Written permission generally is not required in the trucking industry. For more information, go to


You may limit “prescreened” offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in your credit report. Unsolicited “prescreened” offers for credit and insurance must include a toll-free phone number you can call if you choose to remove your name and address from the lists these offers are based on. You may opt-out with the nationwide credit bureaus at 1-888-5-OPT-OUT.


You may seek damages from violators. If a consumer reporting agency, or in some cases, a user of consumer reports or a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency violates the FCRA, you may be able to sue in state or federal court.


Identity theft victims and active duty military personnel have additional rights. For more information, visit


States may enforce the FCRA, and many states have their own consumer reporting laws. In some cases, you may have more rights under state law. For more information, contact your state or local consumer protection agency or your state Attorney General. For information about your federal rights, contact:



Banks, savings associations, and credit unions with total assets of over $10 billion and their affiliates.

Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection

1700 G Street NW

Washington, DC 20006


Such affiliates that are not banks, savings associations or credit unions also should contact in addition to the Bureau:

Federal Trade Commission

Consumer Response Center — FCRA

Washington, DC 20580




National banks, federal savings association, and federal branches/agencies of foreign banks

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Customer Assistance Group

1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450

Houston, TX 77010-9050

Creditors Subject to Packers and Stockyards Act

Nearest Packers and Stockyards Administration area supervisor

State member banks, branches and agencies of foreign banks (other than federal branches, federal agencies, and insured state branches of foreign banks), commercial lending companies owned or controlled by foreign banks, and organizations operating under section 25 or 25A of the Federal Reserve Act

Federal Reserve Consumer Help Center

P.O. Box 1200

Minneapolis, MS 55480


Small Business Investment Companies

Associate Deputy Administrator for Capital Access

United States Small Business Administration

409 Third Street, SW, 8th Floor

Washington, DC 20416 


Nonmember Insured Banks, Insured State Branches of Foreign Banks, and Insured State Savings Associations

FDIC Consumer Response Center

1100 Walnut Street, Box #11

Kansas City, MO 64106


Brokers and Dealers Securities and Exchange Commission

100 F Street NE

Washington, DC 20549 


National Credit Union Administration Office of Consumer Protection (OCP)

Division of Consumer Compliance and Outreach (DCCO)

1775 Duke Street

Alexandria, VA 22314


Federal Land Banks, Federal Land Bank Associations, Federal Intermediate Credit Banks and Production Credit Associations

Farm Credit Administration

1501 Farm Credit Drive

McLean, VA 22102-5090


Air Carriers

Asst. General Counsel for Aviation Enforcement & Proceedings

Department of Transportation

400 Seventh Street SW

Washington, DC 20590


Retailers, Finance Companies and All Other Creditors Not Listed Above

FTC Regional Office for region in which the creditor operates or Federal Trade Commission:

Consumer Response Center — FCRA

Washington, DC 20580

(877) 382-4357 


Creditors Subject to Surface Transportation Board

Office of Proceedings, Surface Transportation Board

Department of Transportation

1925 K Street NW

Washington, DC 20423